Thursday 2 September 2021

1798 Rebellion Project Part 9: Finishing off the British Force

This figure represents General Sir David Dundas, and is the last piece required for the British force in this project. I really like this sculpt; it's as if he's surveying the troops before battle. 

Dundas had a long and storied career, having fought in the Seven Years' War before being appointed to his role in Ireland. 

I've given his horse a dapple grey coat. This was painted using the stippling technique. I started with a grey basecoat with a shade colour glazed into the recesses. The highlights were applied using lots of little dots. In some areas, I used a glaze of the base colour to tone the dots down. 

With all the Brits done, I made a Deployment Point. These are quite important for Sharp Practice. Players are allowed to deploy their troops from them, so their positioning is very important and provides a range of tactical options. 

I went for a white canvas tent to represent my first Deployment Point. I used artwork from the 18th Century as inspiration, such as this picture:

I made a substructure from cocktail sticks. The canvas was made by cutting shapes from an old scrap of linen, and was attached using super glue. I primed and painted the whole thing, which gave it a lot more strength. The tent was kept separate from the base until the interior details were finished. 

There was a big gap in this corner of the tent, caused by my bad cutting skills! I made a patch to hide my mistake, and added a few extra around the tent to make it look intentional. This patch was painted using the MacKay tartan, which was worn by the Reay Fencibles during the rebellion. It's far from perfect, but I like it 😊
The bed and chest were sculpted straight onto the base with Milliput. I painted them before adding the tent over the top. 
I added a cavalry sabre from the bits box to the top of the chest. 

I really enjoyed making this, and I'm looking forward to doing more. I haven't had many ideas as to how to represent the other Deployment Points, so if anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Go dtí an chéad uair eile, beir bua! 

No comments:

Post a Comment