Monday 27 September 2021

1798 Rebellion Project Part 12: United Irishmen Completed

I've just finished the last figures for the United Irishmen list! These mostly consisted of Leaders, which I had been looking forward to very much. I'm so happy to have completed this army. I've wanted to do something in the black powder period for years, and I've always had an interest in the Rebellion. The "heroic" models by Trent are exactly the style I like, and Sharp Practice is very much to my liking. In many ways this is the project I have always wanted to do.

This is Theobald Wolfe Tone, founder of the United Irishmen. In this scene he is stepping ashore from a French frigate, ready to reclaim Ireland! In reality, no such event ever took place, as Tone was captured on board the Hoche after the Battle of Tory Island. 



The flag carried by Tone's assistant may have been flown at the previous French landing in Mayo, according to this page. It features some nice faux-Gaelic script. The slogan "Erin go Bragh" is an anglicised version of the Irish "Éireann go Brách", which means "Ireland forever". 
Making the base was my favourite part of this model. I used Milliput to build up a shoreline. Baking soda and PVA made the sand texture. I painted the water by blending from very dark blue up to turquoise, and added a few white spots to simultate sea foam. I gave it a few coats of very glossy varnish to complete the effect. 

Wolfe Tone will count as a Status II Leader (reflecting his relative inexperience in military matters). He will also be a part of my French Expedition force, as the leader of the Irish contingent. 

Beauchamp Bagenal Harvey was a Protestant barrister who lived at Bargy Castle in Wexford. He joined the United Irishmen in 1792 and supported Catholic Emancipation. Harvey was arrested and imprisoned in Wexford Jail early in the Uprising, but was freed and became Commander in Chief of the Wexford rebels. He may or may not have been happy with this role. Some have argued that Harvey was given command as proof that the United Irishmen was not a sectarian organisation. He led the rebels at New Ross and resigned his post after the Scullabogue Massacre. He fled to the Saltee Islands (whose history is long and storied). Harvey was captured, executed and beheaded. He is still well remembered in Wexford history. 
I added a beard to this model with some Milliput. The base is intended to resemble the road to New Ross. 




This model doesn't represent any historical person in particular. I added a wolfhound (from CP Models) to enhance the pose. 





One of the support options available in Sharp Practice is a musician. I used a bagpiper to represent this. By the end of the 18th Century bagpipes would have been fairly rare in Ireland, with uilleann pipes taking their place. I really like this miniature though. 


This will serve as a deployment point for the rebels. I took inspiration from an illustration of a Wexford rebel camp by George Cruikshank. I assume the bell was used to organise camp life. The frame is made from cocktail sticks, while the bell itself is Milliput. 




Finally, a photo of the whole army! 


Next up on the painting desk are some Shock markers. Once they're done, I'll be moving on to "Stage 2" of this project, mostly consisting of French Republican Infantry.

Go dtí an chéad uair eile, beir bua! 

1 comment: