Saturday 31 July 2021

A World Aflame Jarama game

I recently played a solo version of the Jarama scenario for A World Aflame. It was fun, but I wasn't entirely happy. The game felt a bit linear without the use of individually based figures. Sometimes I felt as if the two sides were shooting back and forth until one took too much damage. I think this was partly because of how I deployed the Nationalists. 

There isn't really anything wrong with these rules; they just didn't work quite how I expected. I'll be trying them again in future, maybe with a few more changes. There's a lot to like about them.
I will, however, try out some other rulesets. I had planned to do this anyway, and used a fairly generic basing scheme on the figures. Crossfire has long tempted me, and I think it will be the next game I try. It will give me a chance to make plenty more terrain too! Steven Thomas of the Balagan has created a Crossfire variant for early 20th Century Spain.

Here are the photos of the game! 
       A Heinkel swoops in to engage some International Brigadistas 
The Republican air force wreaks havoc among the Legion
Moroccans and Legion advancing under fire

4 comments:

  1. Nice to see the collection on the tabletop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you 😊 I really like the latest units on your blog, especially the the Columna Durruti!

      Delete
  2. Just came across your blog via Peter Pig's 'The Mill' magazine featuring your IB troops - very nice indeed! I am just starting with the SCW so this series of blog posts is a gold mine. I am using 'For Whom The Dice Roll' for rules - the author uses PP figures and bases them in a very similar manner to you. The level is higher - so you squad/platoon becomes a company. I'd recommend the rules as worthy of a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm very glad my blog is helpful. I wasn't aware my models were in the Mill, but it's an honour!

      I have been thinking of trying FWTDR, it looks interesting.

      I'd love to see your SCW progress - I'll follow your blog with interest 😊

      Delete