Wednesday 7 July 2021

1798 Rebellion Project Part 1: The First Group of Pike

 In my introduction to this project, I discussed the omnipresence of the 1798 Rebellion in the landscape of Wexford. Just a few days ago I was surprised to find yet another monument to the event while walking to work. This plaque is outside the cemetery on John St, Wexford.


Unfortunately, I can't find any further information on Richard Monaghan using the internet.  If anyone knows of sources on the topic, please send them to me! He could make for a very interesting Sharp Practice leader.

This is the statue of "The Pikeman" in the Bullring, Wexford. It was put in position in 1905, and was sculpted by Oliver Sheppard, who also designed the famous "Death of Cú Chulainn". This area is currently being used for outdoor dining as part of coronavirus restrictions - yet another example of the rebellion 's presence in everyday life here! 


I got started with the land forces for the rebellion by painting up a Group of pikemen. I've never painted a pike block before, so I looked forward to getting them done. My favourite details are the faces, which I used to practice glazing, and the flags, which are made from aluminium drink cans with hand drawn designs.

In the 1798 supplement for Sharp Practice, "pike" groups have firearms mixed in, and therefore can fire using 50% of the usual number of dice. I haven't painted any rebels with guns yet, but I'll scatter a few through the pikes when I do.









I painted the "MWS" flag after seeing it in "The Uniforms of 1798-1803" by F. Glenn Thompson. These initials may have stood for "Murder Without Sin" or "Marksmen of Wexford : Shelmalier".

 Further research after I had finished the unit showed that the flag was flown at the massacre of Wexford Bridge. In this atrocity, 37 local Protestants were murdered after being tried in kangaroo courts. This was solely because of their religion, and based on the assumption that Protestants were inherently anti-Irish. The Republican ideals of the Society of United Irishmen were to unite people of all backgrounds in a sovereign state. This did not always translate into reality, and sectarian acts did occur.

 I think historical wargaming is an act of history, in that it is a representation of the past rather than a recreation of it. My representation of the Republicans will undoubtedly be biased in their favour, as I have always sympathised with them. However, I think it's important that I attempt to be as accurate as possible.

 I considered changing the flag because I felt uneasy about its meaning, and worried it would be disrespectful to the victims. However, I decided to keep it as a contrast to the other portrayals of the United Irishmen I will create. While in the main these portrayals will be positive, I've kept this flag to give a more nuanced view of the period.

I haven't posted anything about the Big Spanish Civil War Project for some time now, but it hasn't fallen by the wayside! I've been building some terrain bits which are very nearly done. They'll be the subject of the next post in the Project, which will hopefully be the final update before the game itself!. 

1 comment:

  1. Great work on these pikemen - the figures a very evocative of the era.

    ReplyDelete