Monday 8 November 2021

1798 Rebellion Project Part 17: The French Arrive

 This week I've managed to finish off two groups of Frenchmen! That means the force is complete, aside from General Humbert. There are some extra bits to do as well, such as casualty markers, but I'm almost done.

 I'm already planning the next "phase" of this project as I've been enjoying it so much. This will probably consist of some artillery. I plan on making some improvised artillery pieces. According to Thomas Pakenham's book, the rebels of Antrim mounted an old Irish Volunteers cannon barrel onto a peasant cart. He also recounts the story of a haberdasher who made grapeshot cartridges from socks! 





This is the first Group I finished this week. They're nothing extraordinary, just some poor foot soldiers. As always with Trent figures they are a bit quirky. Here are some close ups:




The other batch I painted are from Trent's "Scruffy" French infantry pack. I get the impression from Pakenham's "The Year of Liberty" that these are particularly suitable for Humbert's force. They're probably my favourite Group in this army. I think would be nice to see models like this more often. Soldiers on campaign are rarely dressed in perfect uniforms.









All three groups drawn up in line. I've mixed the "scruffy" lads in with the other Groups. 

Go dtí an chéad uair eile, beir bua! 


No comments:

Post a Comment